Wednesday, February 18, 2015

What is Power?


When I created this blog a couple of years ago, one of the ideas that underpinned it was that it would be a place to post about and look at things that fell outside the day-to-day chronicling of life that took place in my other blog, Strange and Benevolent. But, after a few entries in which I pursued the goal of becoming more capable in the kitchen (something I am, admittedly, still working on), this blog sort of fell out of my mind and went fallow.

Recently, though, as I approach my 40th Birthday, I've found myself more and more interested in sort of big concepts: Politics, Religion, Philosophy. Not in the sort of argumentative sort of discourse that dominates today's news cycles, but instead in the sort of high-minded muses that you find in forums like TED, Pete Holmes' "You Made It Weird" podcast and over late night glasses of wine with friends. So, as sort of a way to record those ideas as they catch my attention and -possibly- as a way to help connect the dots between disparate ideas, I think I will begin posting and linking things here. I'm not sure if there will be any immediate focus, but -instead- I'll just wait and see if this thing sort of forms itself.

So, to start, here is Eric Liu's lesson on "How To Understand Power." It's a pretty succinct and interesting look at what power is, how it's wielded and how you can make it work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment